Wednesday 30 January 2013

Three months in.. what I've learnt

So, D is three months old. This feels odd because in some ways, it feels like time has flown by really quickly. On the other hand, sometimes (mainly after a lack of sleep), the days have felt like long, slow water torture. Babies are hard, dude.

It's been a steep learning curve and one that I imagine only has more delights in store (teething, potty training, crawling...) but it's had amazing moments too. I have learnt that:

- Babies are master manipulators. They can go from smiley, happy little people to grumpy, screaming hellcats in five seconds flat. My emotions can be all over the place some days (and that's without all the hormones that still seem to be raging through my body.) But you know, he can have a day where he's a complete grump and still I will forgive it all when he grins at himself in the mirror. Tiny evil genius.

- Ignore people who tell you that their baby slept through at six weeks old. THESE BABY ARE AS RARE AS HEN'S TEETH. Just be grateful if you get a sort of routine going (by six weeks, D had started to go to sleep at 11 and wake at 2 and 6am for feeds. Now he sleeps from 11-5.)

- Don't be surprised if the baby lulls you into a false sense of security with said sleep routine and then completely changes his mind.

- Growth spurts are the most confusing time for very new parents. They are also hellish, what with constant feeding and grizzling. I now recognise a growth spurt at ten paces, as I have a GIGANTIC baby.

- There are things that, if anyone else's child did it, you would retch in horror. But when your child does it, you laugh it off. I'm not going into detail, but ick.

- Apparently babies don't get into a proper daytime nap routine til about four months at the earliest. This is disappointing and means that loo breaks/cups of tea are constantly on the hoof.

- It's OK to admit you're struggling. I've had to do this a few times and it's better than bottling it up. And if someone offers to help/take the baby so you can have a shower, take it.

- You appreciate things like having baths where you can read for a bit. It's important to have time to yourself if you can manage it.

There are loads more, but these are the main ones, I think. Oh and the best bit of advice I was given, pre-baby: "It's OK to want to throw the baby out of the window, as long as you don't actually throw the baby out of the window.." Everyone has moments where they're overwhelmed!

5 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Even though l have a teenage son, nothing prepares you for the tiredness. I wish l could get a bit more time to myself, just to do things that make me feel like me. I have a rare as hen's teeth baby, she sleeps from 10-6 or maybe even 7/8 if l'm lucky. But during the day she might sleep for 45 mins, twice, if l'm lucky. The other mums won't tell you that bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree to all of this!

    I think the admitting to the fact you're struggling is so so important. It took me a while to put my pride aside and start asking for help because raising a child is HARD.

    I love the best bit of advice too, it's SO SO true. All mothers have those days.. I still have those days where i'm more prone to losing my temper with my LO than others.

    My daughter is one and she still doesn't sleep through the night (or day for that matter if she's in a mood.. like now!)

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Iam so happy tha you do write realistically. I am loving your honesty. where were you in the 70's? Malika

    ReplyDelete