Sunday 3 February 2013

Adventures in baby wearing... part 2

I've been using a sling now for the best part of a month and I'm pretty much sold on the idea. So much so that I've actually bought another sling that's better designed for bigger babies. Although I would have absolutely loved a bright, colourful sling, in the end I chose a reasonably priced Victoria Slinglady bamboo/linen woven wrap. However, the wrapping element is a bit trickier, as the fabric is tougher with less stretch. So I'm a bit more cautious when trying to tie this; I've not managed to get D in it as I'm worried I'll drop him on his head!

The Moby is good for now, but I am feeling that D is already a bit heavy for it- I think it'll have limited use after a few more weeks. I have taken him out in the wrap three times: once to the train station down the road, once to the local shop and also to the local park. He absolutely loved being able to see everything (men in hi-vis vests are a favourite, it seems!) I also found that I chattered more to him; it felt easier and more natural than when he's in the buggy.

Our ventures into the outside world were somewhat curtailed because of the snow- we live on a massive hill and it was so icy. When I did take him out, it was in the buggy. I didn't fancy taking the risk. I've also been a bit unsure as to how much he needs to wear when we go out-  I don't want him to be too hot or too cold.

I did intend to take him to a sling meet last week, but alas, I couldn't find my keys and so became a sobbing mess. By the time I had found them, the meet was all but over and I just had a hankering for chocolate. Anyway, I intend to go next month and learn how to tie the linen wrap; I shall report back!

In the meantime, I thought I would show you some amazing photos of babywearing around the world that I found around the internet:






4 comments:

  1. Awhh glad to hear it is going well! Out of interest, how much do you use your buggy instead of the sling? Ive been chatting with my friend who has an 8th month old, he never had a sling but just a buggy. I definitely want a sling, Im a bit worried ill end up using the sling continuously and never the buggy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will use the buggy- it's better for longer walks into town and when the weather is bad/cold, as you can wrap the baby up warmer in the buggy. I only really use the sling round the house and if we're popping to the local shops. I may use it when I take D for his jabs on Friday though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks love,double confirmation im gonna take it.Next dilemma,straight to cot or moses basket!Oooh good luck for his jabs!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I enjoyed carying my babies around is a sling, fron carier and back pack. sure glad I don't have to carry them any more. Theirs ages ru from 30 to 40years old now.
    I love the global pictutew. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete