Monday 28 January 2013

Lets talk about sex…as in gender

[.]

So we went for our 20ish week scan (a bit later than 20 weeks, but never mind) and all is well with the sprog, it has the right bits in the right places and it was all doing what it should be. HOWEVER the little bugger had its legs crossed at the knees so we still have no idea if it’s a girl or a boy! Now the decision to find out has been taken out of my hands, I’m kind of okay with it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know, but I guess this is the only TRUE surprise in life now! As soon as we were on the bus back from the hospital Sam started googling old wives tales, and most of my friends have given me their predictions too! I thought I'd do a bit of ‘research’ then when the baby pops out I can look back and see what was right and what was wrong!

carrying high = girl. carrying far forwards = boy

heart rate over 140 bpm = girl, under = boy (ours was exactly 140 when we heard it on Thursday, helpful!)

craving sweet things = girl, craving savoury or sour = boy

a girl ‘steals her mothers beauty’. so spots/blemishes = girl

swollen legs/feet = boy, no/little swelling = girl

clumsier in pregnancy = boy, grounded and not dropping things = girl

larger right breast = boy, larger left breast = girl (what if they’re the same!?)

bright yellow wee = boy, dull wee = girl

 

and this Chinese gender calendar could be completely accurate, but its too confusing to bother with right now!

Any more to add to the list? & if you’ve had a baby were any of these correct?!

7 comments:

  1. I'm having a boy in March and the Chinese gender predictor is totally wrong! My right boob has always been a bit bigger so I don't think that counts either. My craving for chicken royales may be the only one that gives it away!

    Are any of them right for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the gender predictors (including the Chinese one) and old wives tales were completely correct with Lily! But that could just be a coincidence haha... I think your having a boy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie,im convinced boy too!for me,im convinced its a girl and most of those point girl!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of 'nub theory'? I have used this to get 3/3 correct guesses so far! (that is guessed at 12 weeks, found out the gender at 20 weeks - none have been born yet!) You need to be able to see the baby's bits (which looks like a sort of dense white area between the legs on the scan), but you can use the 12 weeks scan if they had their legs crossed at 20 weeks. Its all to do with the angle of this 'nub'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh! now thats interesting... I am going to do a bit more delving into this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! but I am going to investigate this nub theory! but I cant remember where the second scan pictures are... I didn't actually look at them after we were given them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello hello! Ha, from these old wives' tales I think I'm have a transgender baby because I have almost half and half of these! how cheeky of your little one though. How can they already be so mischievous, in the womb!? It's worrying, really...

    Interestingly, in Bengali traditions it's said that when you're having a girl, you look extra-beautiful, but you look a bit rubbish when you're having a boy. So the total opposite!

    ReplyDelete