Sunday 6 January 2013

Adventures in baby wearing... part 1

I would like to start this post by saying that, although I live in a fashionable seaside town which has its fair share of crazy parenting ideas, I remain resolutely Northern and sceptical about a lot of them. These things are fine for other people, but not really for me. I thought baby wearing was perhaps one of these.

Until last Sunday.

I was at a friend's house (who, incidentally, gave us our antenatal workshop- google Lazy Daisy Lewes if you're interested) when she offered me the use of her Moby wrap. Had you told me eight weeks ago that I would be considering this, I would have scoffed. However, after weeks of colic and getting utterly fed up with a slightly unpredictable, heavy buggy and hating the baby carrier we originally bought, I was all for it.

So, what is a Moby wrap? It's basically a long strip of material. How hard could this be, I thought. All I had to do was wrap it and pop D in it, yes? And yes, the actual putting it on wasn't hard- I used the 'gathered' method, which is demonstrated in this video:



As D is HUGE and has very strong legs, I went for the 'Hug Hold', which is like level 2 in baby wearing. I can honestly say that, even someone as cackhanded as me can do this wrap thing fairly easily; although I was nervous before starting, I found it really easy.

The baby, on the other hand, hated it. He cried and covered me with snot. After he was handed to his dad and gone to bed, I had a rather large Baileys to steady my nerves... What I will say, though, is that I felt completely secure with him in the wrap and it's much sturdier than it looks.

I'll be documenting my progress with baby wearing over the next few weeks and letting you know how I get on. I'm still nervy about taking D out with it, but we'll see how that goes!

You can buy your own Moby wrap here. Any tips are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. I only started baby wearing when Thomas was around 5 months but I love it. I did a post here http://www.yummymummyintraining.co.uk/2012/12/joy-and-joe-baby-wrap-review.html i love feeling close to Thomas and I can talk to him better when we are out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we'd started this when D was tiny, but we both enjoy it more now. I've found it really inspiring looking up babywearing around the world too! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of baby wearing!!Im not completely sure about slings etc,I maintain that my clumbsiness should not be responsible for such an important instrument!However,I've heard lots of people say they find the carriers uncomfortable.I'd love to be able to try then out to see how I find them!I've heard people say that they find them hard to do with newborns but id like to try.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see lots of women wearing these in the town where I live, but I was always a little sceptical too. I do like the idea though. Must be great for just going shopping and things, so you don't have to bother with a buggy. I want to try one now. :)

    ReplyDelete