Monday 14 January 2013

What happened at baby's first immunisation (or: I am a wuss!)

Last Friday, I took D for his first round of immunisations. I hated every second of it.

Now, don't get me wrong; I am virulently (pardon the pun) pro-immunisation. I know there are side effects- but the benefits outweigh the risks in my opinion. I've done my research and I'm happy for D to have the full whack of immunisations.

So, anyway, I took D to the doctors and made sure I took a friend for moral support. I bought Calpol and a thermometer. I was prepared. But I was also nervous. After he was born, we stayed in hospital for five days due to an infection. This meant, every twelve hours, he was taken away to another room for antibotics and blood tests. I hated seeing my tiny (well, not tiny- he was a bruiser, even as a newborn!) baby in pain, even for a second, even though I knew full well that this was necessary. It got to the point where I would take him and wait just outside the door until they were finished and take him back again, giving him a furious cuddle while I did so.

Unfortunately, D's dad was at work when the jab appointment came up (so I coudn't pass the buck to him. Rubbish.), so I gritted my teeth and went in with him. I knew that the problem was all in my head, that it was a bit selfish to worry about how I felt and that he wouldn't remember what was going on. The nurse fussed over him and I looked away as she injected him. We chatted about what the jabs were for and my nervousness- it's very common, she reassured me. It was all over in a couple of minutes- D had cried briefly and had two small plasters to show for it. As we left the room, the baby fell asleep and it was as if nothing had happened! I'd got so nervous about something he couldn't give a monkey's about! I did feel a bit daft, to be honest. I mean, I am a grown up after all!

A few hours later, D got very cross and hot, so after fiddling with  the Calpol and trying to work out how to get the syringe into the bottle/stripping him down to his vest, we finally helped him feel well again. (Tip: to use the Calpol syringe, you put the sit over the top of the bottle, which you then tip up. As you do this, pull the plunger of the syringe and voilĂ , strawberry flavoured goodness is ready to be dispensed. You're welcome.)

We took D to bed early and called an early night for ourselves as well, anticipating lots if broken sleep. Instead, after a bit of grizzling, he slept for seven hours straight, had a quick bottle at 6am and then slept til 9. Brilliant!

I'm still getting his dad to take him next time, though.


2 comments:

  1. Everything you have said here is very normal and natural :) every mum i've spoken to has felt like you regardless whether they are good with needles or not. But like you, I'm all for immunisations because I know if she ever caught any of the diseases that I could of protected her from I would never ever forgive myself.

    I have to admit I haven't been with Olivia for any of her injections which probably makes me a bad mother but I'm needle phobic and both my mother and my midwife said I have to be careful not to pass that fear onto my daughter. Her dad when we were together took her for the first two (after kicking up a stinking fuss of course) then the third lot a nurse offered to take her in and I waited outside ready to rush in and cuddle her and now my mum has offered to take her for her MMR in a few weeks. My mum held her for her heel prick and when she had injects in hospital because she was low birth weight they always took her away.

    I want to be there to support my little girl but I know I would just make the whole situation first. Thankfully there are people are to help out even if I am a single mother :)

    Thanks for sharing your story! :)

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty normal to me. Mike and I shared this which did help. But I still worried everytime. It's actually easier when they are that little. The ones I hated where when he was older and really cried, big fat toddler tears, to this day he doesn't like injection.

    ReplyDelete