Sunday 20 January 2013

Stuff we like: Summer Infant body pillow


About 5 weeks ago (week 16 ish) sleeping became a bit more of a problem for me, with lower back pain, and more annoyingly hip pain on whichever side I slept on (which for me is normally the right side, as I like to sleep facing outwards, not towards the sleeping chunk of man that is my Humongous husband)

I knew that pregnancy pillows existed purely because there is a film/tv program embedded deep in my memory where the husband is annoyed that the woman gets so attached to this pillow and sleeps hugging it every night, even after the baby comes. Anyway, I knew I wanted one so did a bit of research into them and ordered one from Argos (its an 'extra' product, but will be delivered free, or you can collect from your local store)

Basically the idea is that the pillow supports your bump/back/legs whilst sleeping. You can see a little more info about sleeping during pregnancy on the NHS website here and on the Bounty website here.

I ordered the ‘Summer Infant Body Support Pillow’ and it cost me £34.99. I chose it because it has three different uses and I thought I'd get my moneys worth! The main use is obviously as a pregnancy pillow, but also zipped together as a baby chair/support and also as a breast feeding aide.
 
(both images from SI website)
It comes with a removable cotton cover which can be washed, and a zip on/off centre section (slightly padded) which is where the baby would be placed when you use it as a seat.
The 'bump' support is more curved, and the ends tuck back round under your neck/legs to support the back, which hopefully you can see in my artfully posed picture!
IMG_6851 IMG_6852 IMG_6850
With then without the removable support bit, and zipped together to form a ‘chair’ (With a small sized water bottle as a make shift baby)
IMG_6854 IMG_6857IMG_6855
Pros:
  • supports the back as well as the bump, and I imagine when the bump is bigger it will stop you from rolling onto your back in your sleep, if this were to happen. (I imagine it might!?)
  • fairly firm support, so a second pillow probably isn't necessary (when used in the position above)
  • you can remove the cover to clean, and could make a more aesthetically pleasing cover without too much hassle, if sewing is your thing
  • can be used for sleeping on either side of the body.
  • It can be used as a lower back support whilst sitting up in bed (and you can balance a plate of toast on the bit that goes over your legs! It was a godsend when bedridden for a week with flu last week!)
Cons:
  • Difficult to untangle yourself when you are half asleep and on a nocturnal visit to the toilet. Once or twice I have sleepily tried to get back in it after a piddle and flung it on the floor in annoyance.
  • fairly firm support, some people might find it a bit TOO firm, personally for me it works, but I've read a few review sites where this has been mentioned.
  • takes up a fair amount of space (the pictures above are of 5’2 me on a king size bed, for comparison)
Overall: I really like it, and think as I get bigger it will become more invaluable, and hopefully I'll get good use out of it when the sprog comes too.





1 comment:

  1. Everything has some pros and cons. But I liked this body pillows for the infants. Because the newly borns rotate while they are asleep.

    ReplyDelete