Friday 3 May 2013

The joy of reading


D is just getting to the age where he's enjoying being read to. Before, he'd be pretty indifferent, but now he's becoming interested in the pictures as well. One of the best things about having him around is I can indulge my love of children's books and buy the ones that I remember so well from my own childhood. I thought I'd share a list of current favourites- please feel free to add your own in the comments!

Anything by Julia Donaldson

Image: The Telegraph

I'm a bit old to have read most of these in my own childhood, but I have had enormous fun reading these books to D. We were given quite a few by a friend and The Smartest Giant In Town and Room On The Broom quickly became very popular (with me, mainly.) I instantly fell in love with The Gruffalo and have a set of voices all to pat- the Fox is Welsh, the Owl is posh, the Snake is a Scouser with a lisp and the Gruffalo is clearly meant to be Brian Blessed. I enjoy these books because I like the rhythm and the stories and illustrations themselves are just so charming.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Image: The Examiner


This is a classic and I knew before D was born I wanted him to have this book. He now also has a range of other Hungry Caterpillar bits and bobs and the soft toy is a staple when we go out and about. I think he enjoys the bright colours and I enjoy the familiarity of the story.

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell

Image: Books for Keeps


This is another book I loved in childhood, but now I read it as an adult, I'm full of all kinds of conflict. Why is the child (I assume it's a child) writing to the zoo for a pet? Are there no licensed pet shops in the area? Also, why is the zoo encouraging such reckless animal ownership by sending A LION AS A PET? It's encouraging a throwaway society, 'Oh, thanks for the lion, but it's too fierce. Please take it back.' What happened to a '...not just for Christmas'? Anyway, it's an entertaining book, even if D isn't quite au fait with lift-the-flap books just yet.

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Image: Bay Arts
This book is bonkers. I don't think it's published over here (I picked it up from a nice American man at a carboot sale a couple of weeks ago.) It's a story about a Siamese cat who thinks he's a chihuahua and joins a band of chihuahuas to defeat a 'bumblebeeto bandito'. There's lots of opportunities for bad Spanish accents and it's just loads of fun. Quite long for a picture book, but that's not a problem, really!

There are loads of others I like reading- fairy tales in particular- and I have my eye on buying Spot and Mog in the near future, too. Let me know what your favourites are in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I used to love '5 minutes peace' & 'The tiger that came to tea' but I think they're more basic for when the kid is actually learning to read... along with 'Where's Spot' of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im blessed that rio enjoys books as much as me..we have the noise version of dear zoo, rio loves the lions roar. Potty poo poo wee wee is great, one ted falls out of bed ..etc.

    ReplyDelete