Tuesday 14 May 2013

Maternity Clothes

 

I’ve just realised I've not really written about what I've been wearing during my pregnancy on this blog, and only on occasion on my other blog.

I’ve found it really hard to find nice maternity clothes if I'm being honest, partly because I didn’t want to spend much money on new clothes, but mainly because I genuinely didn't like much available out there! I bought three dresses from the New Look maternity range in the Christmas sales, which was long before I needed them but was a sensible thing to do on reflection! I also bought 2 dresses from ASOS in the sales, but then when I tried them on when I had a noticeable bump decided that they didn’t look right (the tulip style skirt on one just made me look like a hippo!) and sold them on eBay for a profit (hurrah!) I do still have a nice cream lace dress with the tags still on, which I couldn't resist, but have had nowhere nice enough to wear it to, so if a situation doesn't arise I'll sell that too!

My first bit of advice is to think about what you’ve already got that will work (dresses with full skirts, things that are really elasticated, flowy tops etc, and you’d be surprised at what will still fit quite far along! I’m still wearing 2 ‘normal’ skirts to work, admittedly they are ‘bodycon’ style so are stretchy, but just get worn below the bump now. Secondly, USE EBAY! consider that most of the maternity clothes that are being sold have probably only been worn for around 3 months, before their owner decides to sell them for more money for nappies…

Here's a lowdown of what I’ve bought:

  • leggings x 3 (New look, Matalan (both good quality) and H&M too long and a little bit thin for £14.99!)
  • vest tops: Topshop (I do not rate these AT ALL, the strappy one is too low cut and the barely cover the bump, even though I bought them in a size up from normal!)
  • T shirts: a 3 pack and a single one from New look. Great quality and still fit perfectly over a 36 week bump, with room to spare! (I bought a 12 and normally wear 10/12 in Newlook sizing) I bought a long-line stripy (of course, being maternity!) top from asos which was fine in my normal size and still fits well now too.
  • Maxi-Skirt: H&M via eBay. PERFECT, this is the best thing I've purchased in terms of comfort, and go-with-everything top-wise!
  • Jeans: Top-shop Leigh maternity jeans (denim with little dots on, with a stretchy band and no zip) cute, comfy till about 7 months then they just got too tight to wear for long periods of time. Green jeans from New look maternity, (Stretchy side panels with a zip) same as the above jeans. I’m not sure why I even bought jeans, I never wore them pre pregnancy but somehow it seemed like a good idea! To be honest I was glad of the extra thickness when I went to Prague though! tights wouldn't have cut it in –14 temp!
  • Tights: as I wear dresses or skirts to work maternity tights were vital, all mine came from H&M (in black, they don't seem to do skin toned & are still selling woolly ones!) but are VERY comfy, I bought with and without feet in packs of either 2 or 3.
  • Dresses: mainly New look, a couple from topshop (naff quality again!) and midi-length tunic from Matalan.
  • eBay: a few dresses, and a bundle of 4 maternity tops from various places (for about £6 inc postage!)
  • Loungewear/underwear: I went to Primark, go a couple of sizes up (I am normally a 10-12, and went for 16-18 sized T shirt/PJ bottom sets in stretchy material and change into them the moment I get in the door, as the waist bands are perfect for not cutting in/pressing on my bladder! I also bought a few packs of cheapy ‘big’ pants as my old pants were getting a bit too tight for comfort, and once I'm back to my normal size (haha!) I can fling them out without guilt!

 

Topshop (sale) / Newlook T shirt & H&M Skirt / Topshop dress via EBay for £6!

Pearl Lowe at Peacocks (not maternity but stretchy!) / H&M top and skirt (top not maternity, just bigger!) / New look dress (maternity, xmas sale, and has been a work staple!)

And because I love the surroundings so much I'm not cropping this one… (Mevagissey in Cornwall)

Primark Jumper (not maternity, just big!) and Matalan leggings (rolled up because I am a short-ass) over a regular vest top from H&M that used to be longer than that but over the bump it rides up…

Where did you shop for maternity clothes? any more tips to add?

3 comments:

  1. WOW! You got lots of stuff! It sounds like you shopped very cleverly! For a while I managed to carry on wearing a lot of my dresses because they all had a stretchy waist and material generally. It was when I got to about five months that the lengths on the dresses I had were just too indecent, so I started off by buying two pairs of maternity jeans (one pair of below bump cords from next and one above bump from H and M). I found the above bump ones definitely more comfortable because the material was much nicer on the bump (especially as the bump grew), and the below bump ones are especially uncomfortable now at 7 months. I got a lot of stuff in the Next sale including those jeans, a dress and a top; all of which still fit me and are staples! Otherwise, I have been wearing normal range clothes in bigger sizes mostly for our of work wear (particularly new look and Matalan), whereas I got my work wear from H and M. I also got some really nice tops from Red Herring Maternity. I found two really nice midi jersey dresses from Matalan which were really reasonably priced. I didnt have much luck on ebay, but then I never have much luck with buying clothes on ebay as theyve never fitted me when they arrive! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree more with the H&M leggings being too long! I've got enough scrunched up at my ankles to make a whole other pair! I've heard that Matalan is pretty good for maternity but I haven't managed to get over there yet.
    I might take a peek at Topshop jeans. It's been odd for me because pre-pregnancy I wore jeans everyday but they were already getting uncomfortable at week 10 so I stopped wearing them pretty quickly! I originally decided not to bother buying maternity jeans as it will mostly be summer whilst I'm pregnant but if the weathers going to carry on like this then I might reconsider!
    Also, I've been searching high and low for a black maternity maxi skirt and can't find one!
    You've managed to look wonderful the whole time and doesn't seem like you've gone crazy buying stuff :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one who's found the H&M leggings a nightmare - I also found the knees were really saggy and so I tried to shrink them in boiling water, without luck. I ended up with some cropped ones from New Look and Ebay which are ok but I prefer 3/4 ankle length which I just can't find in maternity!

    I ended up buying 2 pairs of Mothercare maternity thick tights at £10 each, which was pricey but oh my, they are so soft and comfy I'm still going to wear them non-pg!

    I've also done most of my shopping on Ebay - I've lived in very cheap jersey maxi dresses (around £7-8 each) which I think will also be handy for breastfeeding. It's only in this last month I've felt quite limited in terms of my regular wardrobe as I'm so massive now, my short dresses are coming up too high, and most of my summer stuff is 1950s summer frock shaped (i.e., needs a little waist!) so I'm just circulating the same maxi dresses and a few jersey dresses + leggings.

    I've had an annoying situation where my MiL has forbidden me to wear black throughout my pregnancy because she thinks it's bad luck and I already bought maternity frocks for work in black when she decided this (will be selling them on Ebay). It's also been so restrictive as most of the nicest maternity stuff (and most of my wardrobe) is black. Thankfully black with a print is ok according to her, or I'd really have to buy a new wardrobe! what we do for a peaceful life...

    ReplyDelete