Friday 8 March 2013

Sleep regression nightmares...





Last week, I wrote about D's bedtime and I would like to point out that this is still fine.

However.

We've hit the four-month sleep regression stage. I'd sort of read about it, but didn't think it was a serious thing. Oh, how wrong I was.

Image: AP via elliegarrett.blogspot


We did everything to make his 7.30 bedtime pleasant for D- bathtime, low-lights, lavender scented body lotion, making sure his monkey, Barry, was in the crib, me gently 'singing' Daydream Believer over and over again (seriously, it gets him to sleep. AND I know all the words. Bonus.) D would drift into a deep, cute sleep.

At 1 a.m., he woke up. "Oh, OK, he's having a growth spurt. He's adjusting to weaning. Cool. Let's make up a bottle, he'll go back to sleep- hopefully until 7am, as normal." I'd like to say that this was done pragmatically and without hesitation, but it's normally after D's dad and I pretend we're both asleep for a couple of minutes.

This is fine, except it happened again at 4 a.m. Now, we were completely taken aback, as D hasn't had a sleep pattern like this since two months old. At that point, you're sort of used to the broken nights and you actually feel more exhausted after the first few nights the baby sleeps though. 

The worst thing about this sleep disruption is that it was also affecting D's naps. He's never been a big napper, which can be maddening, as it means he gets tired, cranky and screamy and I have battles with him to try and persuade him to sleep. I thought maybe, just maybe, a lack of night-time sleep would mean more sleep during the day. Haha, as if. It just means he fights even harder to fall asleep (even though we BOTH KNOW he's tired, he refuses it as much as possible and then when he least expects it, he's sparko.)

Mums on Twitter confirm it's probably a combination of growth spurt and regression and so I started doing some research. Another element that makes it really hard is that D has his third cold in three weeks too. Ach. Snotty and grumpy isn't a good combo!

Anyway, I found this blog post which made PERFECT sense. We're not out of the woods yet, but this has made me feel a bit better. If anyone has any tips, please do let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment