Monday 4 March 2013

Birth plan, part 1

 

I don't really know where to start with a ‘birth plan’. I spoke to my midwife about it at last weeks appointment, and she said that basically it can be as detailed or as simple as you want it to be, but that of course sometimes things just don’t go to plan, so always keep an open mind. As an aside, I really like this midwife, my first few appointments were all with someone different and one of them was quite possibly the most unhelpful person I've met, after looking at my notes a few weeks ago she had managed to write down my height wrong, and a few other anomalies had crept in too.

Anyway, I digress, I explained to the MW that I didn't really know where to start with thinking about the birth, and in actual fact I had quite a lot of anxiety about it, amongst other things. She said it needs to cover three main areas, which can be as detailed or as simple as you want them to be.

  • What is important to you (who do you want with you, where do you want to do it? )
  • What you feel are priorities (including pain relief/coping techniques, do you want your baby cleaned before being given to you etc)
  • How you want things to happen after the birth (breastfeeding or formula, vitamin K injection or not…)

So I am right at the beginning stages of the process, and so far all I know is that a) Sam will be with me and not my mother/anyone else, BUT that if things go on for a while and he needs a break, but that b) a friend who lives not far from the hospital and had her baby there a few years ago will be on hand for support if possible, which is good to know. In the true spirit of my ever growing procrastination, I actually made a full and detailed list of what to pack in my hospital bag instead of getting any further with the birth plan, but i’ve started thinking about it and have 13 weeks left anyway, so expect another post on the subject further down the line!

Tools and things you may find helpful:

The NHS Birth plan webpage, you can fill out online and print it for your records

The NHS 'how to write a birth plan video’ which you can watch here

The Tell me a good birth story website (Steph found this website really useful before she had D, and recommended it to me)

Bountys advice on writing a birth plan

And the Netmums take on it

and just for the sake of argument, here is an article that I found about why ‘birth plans are worse than useless’ (the 899 comments on the article don’t agree!)

 

If you are a mum already, how closely did your experience resemble your birth plan, if you had one? Any tips?

5 comments:

  1. My experience was pretty much my birth plan.. but that's because my birth plan was simple (due to the fact I was too afraid to look up other peoples examples online or do any research at all haha) this is what it consisted of..

    - Daughters father present.
    - Female Midwife only.
    - As little people as possible in the room as I get stressed out with lots of people fussing.
    - Gas & air.
    - On a bed, regular position if possible.
    - I consent to a Cesarian if baby is in difficulties.
    - Skin to skin contact & breast fed if possible
    - Ipod to relax

    I also made it clear when I was in labour, like Miranda in Sex and the City, I didn't want any patronising people trying to spur me on. I do things better if I'm just left to it to focus. I also didn't want any gory details explained to me. I also didn't want anyone to explain anything before hand as I cope better if I just have to deal with it, I get stressed if I think about it before hand.

    In the end only my daughters father and one midwife was present. She was lovely and not patronizing at all. My ex was however and I punched him for it. In hind sight if I went through it again I think i'd be okay just me and a couple of midwives. My battery died on my iphone before I got to the pushing bit so I didn't even have my music, so instead I got out my head on gas & air.

    I wasn't bothered about the "special" experience. I just felt that all I wanted to do was get my son (yes I was told I was having a boy haha) out as quickly and safely as possible. Which is what I did and my daughter arrived in 12 hours from my first contraction.

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks Amy that's really useful!im the same as u re gory details and get more stressed if im told in advance!I deal with on the spot stressmuch better!I can't decide whether to bother speculating about pain relief,Im pretty sure I just want whatever they can give me!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birth plan was just to work with the doctors- I stated I wasn't adverse to pain relief (sweet, sweet epidural), but that I would do whatever the midwife, doctors and I decided as a group. As I have a mild hearing impairment, I also stated very clearly that Benn had to be informed of any decisions/discussions as well, in case I didn't catch them.

    I also went for the vitamin K injection, the injection to get the placenta out and I followed my midwife's guidance re: the cord afterwards.

    One thing I would say is tell people (if you're having the baby at Brighton) that there are no waiting rooms and so you'll see them afterwards if that's what you want. Otherwise, you'll end up like I did WITH ALL OF THE PARENTS IN THE DELIVERY ROOM. Thankfully, the midwife who came on shift before D was born got rid of them before D was born.

    Oh and I had a male midwife monitoring the drip I was on (but not doing anything else) and a male medical student saw D being born. TBH, I was so out of it, I didn't care by that point! I had medical students in and out during the day, actually and I was OK with that. They were especially useful when Benn fainted during the epidural!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted this, I was feeling exactly the same! The huge number of questions is so odd, especially if it's your first baby - um, how are you supposed to know? I just felt like a rabbit in the headlights when I read through the section in the book I was reading.

    I do have anxiety so I think I'll have to talk that over with my midwife to find out what might help with that. I guess they're particularly helpful for staff when a mother has VERY clear thoughts (e.g. against pain relief etc.) that they need to respect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My birth was completely the opposite to my birth plan, I wanted a nice calm natural active labour and I wanted to try and do it all on gas and air and then I wanted to try and breast feed during skin to skin. I actually got induced 14days late so was strapped to the bed and then ended up with a c-section the only thing i did get was the skin to skin and trying to BF which I suppose is the most important thing

    ReplyDelete